Monday, June 27, 2011

Impatient Driver Ends McDougald's Season Early


Tacoma, Washington – 6-27-11 – For "Terrible" Tim McDougald, driver of the #68 KMB Design /

Hargis Engineers / Print-NW / Cornwell Tools / Ringers Gloves Toyota Camry, the 2011

season came to an abrupt end Saturday night at Evergreen Speedway as a fellow

competitor caused a wreck that would destroy McDougald's car, and his season.

After starting the first of the Twin-50 Main Events from the back of the field,

McDougald spent the race keeping his car out of trouble, staying out of the leader's way

and trying to earn some respect from his fellow drivers. Problems with the car added to a

rough first race, but "Terrible" Tim would keep pushing to make it to his first checkered

flag of the year. "We had some problems in the first race. The car was really tight, I mean

really tight," said "McDougald. "And then the rack came loose, so it was moving around

under there. Instead of the wheels turning, the rack was moving. So you had to put a lot

more wheel into it. Then somewhere in there my radio died so I had no spotter for the

second half of the race. I just picked a lane and stayed there and let them go around me. It

worked out."

Back in the pits, the crew went to work on the car to get it ready for the second

Main Event, another 50 lap run. McDougald was listed starting on the front row but

chose to go to the back instead. "I just didn't feel like we belonged up there," said

McDougald. "I hoped the other drivers would appreciate me getting out of the way, we

weren't that fast and I felt like we could cause a wreck pretty quick if I stayed there. I'd

rather let them race for it and come back when I'm better prepared. There should be other

opportunities for me to be up there when I'm faster."

Again, starting in the back, "Terrible" Tim spent most of the race keeping his #68

KMB Design / Hargis Engineers / Print-NW / Cornwell Tools / Ringers Gloves Toyota

Camry out of trouble and letting the leaders have the lane. But all that would come to an

end with only 3 laps to go as another driver forced the issue while lapping McDougald,

causing a multiple car spin that would destroy two of the cars involved, McDougald's

being one of them. "I don't know what happened there. Fred Hall, in the 6 car, just

straight up wrecked us," said McDougald. "I've never seen anything like that. I had left

the high side all day; my spotter was telling me 'the 20 is outside, the 6 is coming with

him' and then all of a sudden the 6 was in my driver's door. I don't know what he was

thinking. I ran down the straight in the low groove the whole way, I set it in on the

bottom going into turn one and he just launched off the 3/8 and landed in my door. From

there it was all over, there was nothing you could do. I hate it for Andy, in the 20 car, he

had a great day going and we took him with us since he was on our outside. I just can't

believe Fred would drive like that. I was nice to him all day, leaving him a line, and he

paid me back by destroying my car. He really showed me what kind of person he is right


there."

No comments:

Post a Comment