Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Newcomers enjoy the challenge and fun of taking part in Stars of PGP Drift Series

Cold weather was no problem for PGP Motorsports Park on Sunday, Jan. 8, as the region's top drifters kept things smoky and hot at the premier racing venue in the Northwest during Round 3 of the Stars of PGP Drift Fall-Winter Series.

With more than 20 drivers taking to the .82-mile course - many for the first time and some from as far away as Oregon - the crowd of spectators on hand were thoroughly entertained. Many fans also got to take part in the on-track action by climbing into Birel Rental karts to compete against PGP drift veterans Rob Primozich, Nathan Feigon, Roland Gallagher and Mike Phillips.

"It's exciting to see the number of drivers grow so rapidly," said Primozich, who helps PGP coordinate the show. "A crowd of drivers from Salem (Ore.) even made the trek to see what all the PGP fuss was about. They told me that (Sunday) was 'hands down the best event they have been to.'"



Two of the first-time drivers on Sunday were Nikki San Miguel and Sapphire Johnson, who were also the first female drifters to take part in one of the events at PGP Primozich said. San Miguel, who is from Mill Creek and has been drifting for nearly two years, took advantage of the variety of motorsports available at PGP to gets familiar with the track before Sunday.

"PGP is the only track that gave me the chance to really learn my race lines - the fastest way around the track - on Wednesday (Jan. 5) when I participated in a Car Lapping day," said San Miguel. "I think I came in a little too hot from doing pretty well on Wednesday: my first corner of the day (Sunday) I went straight off the track."

San Miguel and the other PGP novices showed great improvement throughout the day, said Primozich. Finding the best way around PGP's 14-turn full-course configuration challenges drivers of all levels, but ultimately rewards them with better all-around drifting skills.

"I enjoyed this course because it gave me the opportunity to make my driving more diverse," said San Miguel. "There are not really any other tracks in Washington that give me the opportunity to improve my driving by using my (emergency) brake and having so many fast transitions. You really have to be on top of your steering work."



San Miguel said she felt more comfortable and under less pressure when back on the track following the intermission, which was good because the drifting built up to a "14-plus car tandem in which I think I improved my driving the most."

The Stars of PGP Drift Fall-Winter Series resumes with Round 4 on Feb. 12 and the finale on March 12. Nikki San Miguel is one person who's sure to be at PGP for both, as well some other events.

"Overall the event (Sunday) was great and I plan on being at all the lapping days coming up and drift events for the next few months," San Miguel said. "I was always nervous to come out and drive PGP, but now that I have I don't see myself stopping."

Special thanks to Big Boy Media (www.bigboymedia.net) and Nikki San Miguel for use of photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment