Monday, April 5, 2010

20 Questions with David Jurca



Who is David Jurca? That's what we wanted to know.
So we asked him 20 questions, so you could get to know him a little better.

1. Name the race series you have competed in so far.
There are almost too many to list, but some of the key ones of my career include: CIK European Championships, Stars of Karting, SKUSA ProMoto Tour, Florida Winter Tour, NW Region 6 Gold Cup, Westwood Karting Association, Formula Dodge National Championship, Volkswagen Jetta TDI Cup, Cooper Tires Formula SCCA National Championship, and Red Bull F1 Driver Search.

2. Coke or Pepsi?
Water.

3. I feel you fall into a group I like to call the "NW Young Guns". Do you think that fits & who else would you say falls into that group?
I like to think I fit in to the category. My passion for racing is still as high as it has ever been and I continue to do my best to stay sharp and compete at events with high levels of competition. I have done my fair share of local, national, and international racing and have competed on a yearly basis since I was 8 years old. I am now 24.

Another driver who might fit into this category includes my roommate Ben Petter who I grew up racing against in karting. He has since moved on to midgets and is the current midget champion in the local NW series.

4. Who's your racing hero?
My racing hero is most definitely Ayrton Senna.

5. If you could win any race, which one would it be?
In karting, it would be the SuperPro category at the SKUSA Supernationals as long as it continues to draw Formula One drivers such as Michael Schumacher and the top European and North American talent.

From an overall perspective, I would pick Formula One’s Monaco GP.

6. If you could drive for any team, who would it be?
Ferrari

7. What person has had the biggest influence on your driving career?
My father has had the biggest influence on my driving career. Without his hard work and dedication during my early years of racing, I would be nowhere. I continue to appreciate all the sacrifices he made to get me where I am today.

8. What goals have you set for yourself this season?
This year is a bit different for me compared to other years. I am currently attending the business school at the University of Washington and am focused on successfully completing my education, while continuing to stay sharp on my driving skills. Overall, my goal is to attend more local karting events that logistically make my life a little easier in terms of competing. The national level is a bit down this year because of the economy, and I don’t think I will be missing out by focusing more on the local events. Ultimately, dependent upon my schedule, I’d like to compete at the season ending Supernationals event in the SuperPro category and give some of the Europeans and Formula One drivers a run for their money.

9. What are your long term career goals?
In the long term, I’d like to compete in endurance sports car racing. From a professional standpoint, my goal is to compete for a manufacturer and have at least all of my expenses covered. Making a living would be a plus, but as long as I could continue to race without it costing me money I think I would be a happy person. Hopefully, what I learn at the UW can transfer to a decent salary outside of racing.

10. Favorite food?
Italian



11. Name the cars you've had the pleasure to race?
ItalKart, Tony Kart, Formula Dodge, Formula Renault, Formula Ford 2000, Formula SCCA, Formula 3, and a Volkswagen Jetta TDI.

12. Favorite race car?
I’ve always been amazed by the technology in Formula One. A current championship winning Formula One car is my favorite. This looks like the Red Bull F1 car currently.

13. Club racing or Pro racing, which one do you enjoy more & why?
There is nothing like the feeling of winning a Pro event and that’s what makes it my favorite form of racing. I love competition and when you can beat the best at what they do, it’s a feeling like no other. However, club racing has its benefits and what I like most about club racing is the ability to just focus on the enjoyment of driving. I’m not as worried about every little detail and I can just go out and drive, focus on myself, and have fun.

14. One thing all young drivers should know starting out?
Don’t waste money on every little performance enhancing feature available. Racing expenses can get out of hand, and the first 4 years should be strictly focused on seat time. The best way to spend your money is to just go out and drive. Hiring a coach is also a great investment because a coach can show you your weaknesses and the practice time becomes that much more effective.

15. As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
A professional racecar driver.

16. Desert island CD collection. If you only had 10 CD's to pick what would they be?
I have to say, I am really on the downloading singles program these days, but if I had to think of CDs in my past that have had the most air time they are:

Coldplay – A Rush of Blood to the Head

Radiohead – In Rainbows/ Kid A

Jay Z – The Blueprint

The White Stripes – White Blood Cells

Eminem – The Marshall Mathers LP

50 Cent – Get Rich or Die Tryin’

Timbaland – Shock Value
Morgan Page – Elevate/ Believe

Pearl Jam – Rearview Mirror

Garden State Soundtrack

17. Fried or steamed rice?
Steamed

18. Favorite race track?
Virginia International Raceway

19. Favorite racing series?
Formula One

20. Do you have any other hobbies?
Skiing, racquetball, gym, hiking, and mountain biking.

To learn more about David Jurca or David Jurca Motorsports please visit http://www.davidjurca.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment